Professor of Digital Medicine (Honorary)
I am a clinical scientist with a specialist interest in healthcare innovation, strategy and digital technology.
I build and lead talented teams to prevent, manage and achieve remission of disease.
I have learnt to do this by using digital technologies to allow people to access the right care at the right time, no matter where they are or who they are.
Over the past 20 years my teams have built and deployed digital platforms to support change at scale. My team led the only digital national education programme (free to 3.8million people, working to GDS standards) and AI driven platform for medicines and technology horizon scanning, and no-code / low code digital programme creation.
In 2016 I was appointed founding Director of the UK National Institute for Health Research Innovation Observatory where I led a multidisciplinary team of computer scientists, scientists and evidence synthesis specialists to map, report and shape global healthcare innovation (drugs and non-drugs). The NIHR Innovation Observatory team provide strategic insight to the Department of Health, NHS England, National Institute for Health Research, academia and industry. Our aim is to support clinical care teams, commissioners, policy makers and industry providers to deliver better and more efficient clinical care through strategic innovation.
I am a former NIHR Senior Fellow and Diabetes UK RD Lawrence Fellow, where I led work looking at lifestyle and chronic disease, co-designing service pathways and understanding the clinical impact of self care behaviour. Through this work I led, with colleagues, the deployment of scalable digital health services for the management and prevention of long term conditions in the UK and across Europe.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh, 2015
- Diabetes UK RD Lawrence Lecture 2014
- NIHR Senior Research Fellow, 2011-2016.
- Innovators in Diabetes (iDia) program recipient, Diabetes UK, 2008
- Diabetes UK RD Lawrence Fellow, June 2007-2010
- Ministry for Science & Medical Research, Postdoctoral Award for Excellence in Science. Australian Society for Medical Research, July 2006.
- Sydney University, Overseas postgraduate scholarship award, 2001-03.